Over the years I have been approached by a number of people who are going through the Kundalini awakening.
This is not something that we can stop however there are many things that one can do to help calm the process. Kundalini does not produce disease however it can create disturbances of the nervous system and body function which in the bigger picture is a huge healing process.
I am trained as a Kundalini Yoga teacher and BodyTalk practitioner and have covered some training to help people deal with Kundalini awakening. BodyTalk is a fantastic modality which can support people through the process using certain acupuncture points on the body to help calm the flow. Also the kundalini energy can weaken the body and bring about a diminished resistance to disease. This can cause genetic predispositions of disease to occur which can also be addressed during a bodyTalk session.
Here are some useful hints and tips:
- Begin tapping out your cortices. (See embedded video for a guide!) This is excellent at calming the mind which can become highly agitated when kundalini ‘hits’ it. It is best if you can get a friend to do this for you.
- Having a shower or bath can be extremely helpful or even swimming in the ocean is even better!
- Salt has a very stabilising effect on the Kundalini. The crystalline structure of salt resonates with crystalline structure of on intrinsic muscles around the spinal column. Put salt in your bath.
- Always have something in your stomach. Only a small amount will do and take every 30 mins. The body will be very specific to what food needs to be taken. Some people find bread and milk helpful. As the kundalini energy is very powerful, you need to be consuming regular carbohydrates. You may forget to eat, so set an alarm. Dairy has been shown to have a stabilizing effect on the kundalini.
- You need to earth your body so walking on bear foot is excellent and eating foods that grow in the ground such as potatoes and carrots.
- If agitated, lie down supine with knees bent on a hard surface, preferably on tiles and not carpet. This can be immediately calming.
Also lying on the ground outside can be very grounding of course however if you are going through a very hard time tiles may be more effective than being outside! The spine seems to be calmed by the coolness and hardness. With the knees bent, arms out to the sides, place the tongue flat up against the entire roof of the mouth (this links to the sushumna, hypothalamus and stabalizes the endocrine system regulates temperature). Focus on the perineum-the muscles between the anus and genitals and ensure that it is relaxed. You can try and push the perineum down to relax it further.
- Bending the knees can be helpful as when the legs are straight the Kundalini flows much stronger.
- Let your intuition be your guide. The kundalini process and intuition are one and the same. Kundalini is your natural life force energy, its very natural, spontaneous, intuitive and creative. Understand the principle of your intuition as it is literally taking over when your kundalini awakens. This does not mean that the ego will try and go against what is intuited but the censoring mind is no match for the kundalini as she works tirelessly to break down the mind and its addiction to censoring.