Tune in with the Adi Mantra: ONG NAMO GURU DEV NAMO repeated three times followed by Aad Guray Nameh, Jugaad Guray Nameh, Sat Guray Nameh, Siri Guru Dev-ay Nameh.This means ‘I bow to the primal wisdom. I bow to the wisdom true throughout the ages. I bow to the true wisdom. I bow to the great divine within.’
‘When you cannot be protected, this mantra will protect you. When things stop and won’t move, this makes them move in your direction’ Yogi Bhajan
Warm ups: These are a number of yoga postures chosen by the teacher to warm the body and help to move the internal energy before doing the kriya.
Kriya: The word kriya means action and in Kundalini Yoga the kriyas have been designed by Yogi Bhajan to have a specific effect on the body so that a sequence of posture, breath and sound create the flow of life energy in the body and aura.
Relaxation: usually 11 minutes to allow the effects of the kriya to be integrated
Meditation: Manta’s are often used in a class as a meditation. We are creating a state of mind called anahat (the infinite unstruck sound or vibration) which brings intuition, inner strength and an elevated sense of self. When you chant, the sound current syncronises your nervous system, the ego relaxes and every cell vibrates with the naad of the mantra.
Long Time Sunshine Prayer: This is a blessing sung at the end of a class to to send blessings to ourselves, those who need healing and then the whole world. ‘May the long time sunshine shine upon you. May all love surround you. And the pure light within you, guide your way on’
Sat Nam- This is a seed mantra to change the deepest subconscious and means Truth is My Identity. This is chanted at the end of a class and the Sat being long and Nam kept short.
To prepare for a class:
- Ensure you wear loose clothing
- Bring yoga mat, cushion, water to drink and blanket for relaxation
- Do not eat a heavy meal within 2 hours of a yoga class
- Do not practice Kundalini yoga under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- You must listen to your body during kundalini yoga and stop if you experience pain.
- Please tell the teacher of any medical conditions or if you are pregnant.
- It is advisable for women not to practice strong breathing such as breath of fire or do inverted postures when menstruating
- Kundalini yoga is a beautiful yoga practice. Come with an open mind and open heart and be inspired by this wonderful technology. Sat Nam.
People often wear white and cover their heads with a scarf when practicing Kundalini Yoga. This is because white is the highest vibrational colour and as the internal energy moves, it can sometimes make you feel spaced out or head-achy. Covering your head helps to contain the energy as it rises. Neither of these practices are compulsory.